If a man has a large number of classic ties in his arsenal, but the situation requires a bow tie, and there is no desire to buy it? Then you should familiarize yourself with the methods of how to make a bow tie from a tie.
This will not ruin the tie, as you don’t have to cut anything. With sufficient training, this can be done in 2 minutes.
Sewing a tie for a man
You can buy it in the store, but you can sew it yourself in an hour. You can choose the fabric, color, size. You can sew a butterfly for a man on a sewing machine or by hand. What is needed for this:
- Thick fabric
- Sewing machine,
- Ruler, pencil,
- Scissors, chalk, pins, threads,
- Braid, accessories for her.
- Make a simple pattern consisting of two rectangles: 24x13 cm and 4x7 cm.
- Cut the main part and the jumper from the fabric. You can duplicate a large part with non-woven fabric if the fabric is not dense enough.
- Fold the main part with the wrong side out, stitch it on the typewriter on the large side, 4-5 mm from the edge. Turn out.
- Iron the stitched part so that the seam is in the middle. Fold in half with a seam up and sew together the narrow sides.
- Spread the resulting ring upward and iron.
- Now sew the jumper by repeating the same steps. Fold it in half, sew, twist, iron with a seam at the top in the middle, fold in half, stitch, iron.
- Form folds on a large part and thread into a jumper.
- Beautifully fold the folds on the butterfly, thread the ribbon into the jumper.
- Make any fastener at the ends of the ribbon. Sew on the button and buttonhole at opposite ends, take the adjuster and hook from the bra to fasten, sew on two small hooks and make two small buttonholes for them on the opposite end of the ribbon. The butterfly is ready!
How to make a paper butterfly
A paper bow tie seems like a frivolous undertaking. For a tuxedo in solemn occasions, it is not suitable, but for a fancy dress or a child for a matinee can be done. For those who are familiar with origami, the workshop will not seem difficult.
- Take a sheet of colored paper 15x15 cm.
- Bend it in half with the wrong side up, expand.
- Bend four corners to the center.
- Bend the top and bottom to the center.
- Collapse in half from left to right.
- Bend the corners on the right to the center and straighten.
- Spread the sheet. On the created bends, bend the central part in half inward.
- Fold the top layer of the left corner to the right.
- Fold the left side back so that the corners coincide.
- Bend the top layer of the right corners to the center.
- Bend the left corners to the center line.
- Bend the workpiece, straighten the central part.
Making an accessory for a boy
Sewing a butterfly for a boy with his own hands is painstaking work, but the result is worth it. A boy in a strict suit with this stylish accessory looks charming, aristocratic and attracts the views of everyone around.
The necessary materials and tools:
- Fabric in contrasting colors,
- Threads, scissors,
- Ruler, pencil,
- For sewing, two pieces of satin fabric in contrasting colors are needed. We select the size depending on the age of the child.
- Draw patterns in the form of rectangles with a ruler and a pencil. Cut from fabric.
- Put in the form of bows with a smell and iron.
- Lay one on top of the other and sew or sew manually.
- Make a jumper from a piece of satin ribbon or fabric. Sew in a ring and put on a tie.
For a child, the easiest way is to attach an accessory to an elastic band so that it is easy to put on and take off. You can also sew the male version. Girls and women also like bow ties. This fashion accessory can be made of fabric, leather, felt, knit or crocheted.
Master class on creating a bow tie
There are several styles of butterflies, but we offer you to sew not a classic butterfly-samovyaz, but a “laziness”, which does not require a long careful knotting. Many liked it due to its neat appearance and ease of use. Such a butterfly is suitable not only for the groom and friends of the groom, but also for graduates of schools and kindergartens.
To make a bow tie you need:
- fabric 24x13 cm (gabardine fabric is used in the photo. You need to choose something similar: not too thick or thin, and it is desirable that the fabric practically does not stretch,
- piece of fabric 4x7 cm for a jumper,
- piece of fabric 5x60 cm for the strap,
- metal fittings
- sewing machine,
- iron thread
- hot glue.
We cut out the details: the main and small.
A two-layer butterfly is made, so the main part for the second (upper) layer needs to be made 1-2 cm less at the edges.
Then the main parts are smoothed out with an iron: we bend the edges to the center (first from above and below, then to the right and left). We take a small detail, the future jumper. We put along the front side of the fabric outward.
Do not worry if the fabric starts to fringe, all this will be hidden during sewing.
On a sewing machine, the center of the main parts (large and smaller) is stitched in a zigzag.
The strap is also stitched with a regular straight seam, bending it along towards the center.
The main two parts are folded accordion to the center and fixed with hot glue.
The butterfly is wrapped in a jumper and fixed with hot glue.
Adjuster and fasteners are strung on the strap. The strap first slips into the regulator, then passes through the hook, and then again into the regulator on the reverse side. The tip is sewn at the end.
A strap is pushed through the central jumper.
And now, the bow tie with an adjustable strap is ready!
“I hope that my workshop will be pleasant and useful! To all who start creating wonderful butterflies, I wish you inspiration and creative success! ”
The master class was prepared by Barbarisk
Knitted tie can be childish, feminine, masculine. For girls and girls knit delicate openwork, white or pastel colors.
You can make a bow tie crochet, without patterns and patterns.
What is needed for this:
- Tie a chain of 40 air loops 15 cm long, connect into a ring.
- Knit 33 rows in a circle with single crochets, length 9.5 cm. Close open loops with single crochets.
- Link the jumper. Connect a chain of 10 air columns into a ring and knit 17 rows. The length of the jumper is 6 cm.
- Attach a jumper in the middle of the bow and sew. Sew the jumper back to the bow surface with a few secret stitches so that it does not slip.
- Sew a tie on an elastic band or tie a strap from the remaining threads and pull under a jumper.
A bow tie is made of different materials, even wood. Leather ties may not be suitable for the official dress code, but they look stylish in youth suits.
For a tie you need soft skin to easily crease, stitch, twist. All actions are the same as when sewing an accessory made of fabric. It must be remembered that the skin must be sewn immediately on the machine, without marking, the needle leaves traces of injections on the surface of the skin. Iron leather parts only with a cloth.
You can make a collection of ties so that, if necessary, select an accessory for each suit in the color of a shirt.
Is it possible to make a bow tie from an ordinary tie?
If you look back at history, you can see that many famous owners of bow ties were scientists, writers and politicians. Even children can wear a bow tie for the reason that there are already ready knotted models on sale that are enough to adjust in length and just snap on.
It is worth noting that in a situation where this accessory is needed immediately, it is quite possible to use an ordinary tie in order to form a beautiful bow tie.
The ability to beautifully tie a butterfly is a kind of rite of initiation into gentlemen. To learn this wisdom is not so simple. Therefore, the first time a photo instruction on how to tie a bow-tie should be at hand. It is best to print it and hang it near the mirror. As practice shows, in order to learn how to do it well and quickly you need to repeat this procedure 50 to 60 times.
Scheme and execution technology
The process of making a bow tie a little complicated is why you should adhere to the following steps:
- choose your favorite tie that you want to convert into a new accessory shape,
- place the middle finger on top of the thick end (seam side up) under the tie, and the ring finger and index finger over the tie. Thus, you should carefully fold the two side edges of the tie down, towards the seamless side,
- then fold the entire wide end towards the seamless side, sticking it into the stitched loop and stretch it away with your free hand,
- the beginning of the crease. At this stage, it is determined how wide the bow tie will be. To do this, just put your 4 fingers on top of the protruding edge and grab the thin end of the tie to shift it over your fingers, thus forming one layer of a butterfly,
- in order to make the accessory as close as possible to a bow tie, you need to make a couple more folds. To do this, you just need to put your hand on the already made fold and repeat the process for the two flaps,
- then bend the thin end to the middle of the future butterfly and press it to the seam. Holding the formed layers of the butterfly, wrapped the thin end around the vertical layers of fabric and skip it under the beginning of the thin edge,
- pull the thin end while holding the formed butterfly to tighten the knot and let the folds of fabric fold into a true butterfly,
- to fix it on the neck, you need to push the free thin edge of the tie through the knot in the same place where it was pushed the first time when you made the shape of a bow. At this point, you need to tighten the knot again so that it does not slip.
What fabric to use for sewing butterflies?
It is very important to pay attention to the choice of fabric from which a bow tie will be made. It should hold its shape well, be tight, but not stretch. Basically, the material for this accessory is chosen, starting from the season. So wool and tweed are suitable for the cold season, and silk for warmer. But cotton is a universal fabric, it is appropriate for any season.
Therefore, we recommend the DailyLike cotton fabric.
Why dailylike fabrics?
DailyLike fabric is now at the peak of popularity, and this is understandable, because it is 100% cotton and a huge selection of relevant, fashionable prints. Dailylike designers were inspired by natural motifs - pastel shades, images of plants, flowers, birds and animals. Such a variety of colors and textures of the fabric greatly simplifies the process of the needlewoman’s work, since almost all DailyLike fabrics are combined, not only in themes, but also in colors.
This material allows you to sew not only a bow tie, but also other products: bedding, pillows, toys, mobiles, clothes, aprons, covers, bags, etc.
In addition, DailyLike cotton fabrics are hypoallergenic, so they are suitable not only for adults, but also for children. After washing, there is no shrinkage, and in the future the material is perfectly smoothed.
The material for making a bow tie can be both practical to use and requiring a special approach.
To obtain clearer forms of the product, dense types of fabric are chosen:
- Burlap or dense cotton, other types of fabrics of natural origin. A bow tie that is made of such a fabric will be appropriate in the selection of a variety of images. The shape will not be lost, even if you do not use seals (non-woven, doubler, etc.).
- Thin fabrics of natural origin. They can be used along with dense fabrics, but will require the use of gaskets to maintain shape and presentable appearance.
- Fabrics of artificial origin. Various synthetic fabrics, which can easily be used in the manufacture of bow ties, will also require additional compaction, as they are not able to keep a clear shape while wearing.
The fabric is very practical to use, it allows you to choose the optimal color, ornament, pattern of the future product.
For those who take up sewing a bow tie for the first time, it is recommended to choose such types of fabric that do not crumble around the edges. This can create additional sewing difficulties.
The base of the bow tie is made of fabric, braid or leather. But the “butterfly” is cut out of wood. The most popular for the manufacture of such accessories is plywood (fiberboard). But for especially practical people, the circle expands to any wood that is on the farm. Recyclable materials are even suitable (the disassembled case of an old watch or radio, music speakers, etc.).
The shape of the product can be more diverse, unlike those options that are made of fabric. The presence of holes, patterns, perforations, prints also allows you to create an exclusive model of a bow tie. The middle is usually made of braid or fabric. A tree is also used for such purposes.
Wood products look very original and unusual, emphasize the creativity and sense of style of their master.
Genuine leather is increasingly used to make accessories. Thick pigskin products are especially popular. Its density allows you to apply various images, patterns, logos on it.
Thin types of leather serve as a fabric. Some options require a seal.
It is possible to create a masterpiece in the form of a bow tie with paper, plastic, wire, metal, thread (knitted or crocheted), eco leather, leatherette, polymer clay, felt and other things. You can decorate with rhinestones, rivets, sewn figures, embroidery. The result may turn out to be the most unexpected and unique, but it definitely stands out from standard butterflies.
Having decided on the material that will be used to make the bow tie, you need to focus on the shape of the product.
By tying method
Outwardly, a bow tie can have the same appearance, but at the same time tie in different ways.
- "Samovyaz." Both monochrome and bilateral options are popular. Such a bow tie takes its final shape by tying.
- On the clasp. To put on such an accessory, you only need to fasten the clasp. The look of the butterfly itself is already formed and does not require any action. It can be used for ties that have a standard strap and any butterfly material.
- Attaching. With the help of a special mount, the butterfly is attached to the shirt floors near the very first button on top. This method is relevant for butterflies that are made of almost any material.
The choice of a method of tying is a personal matter for everyone. Convenience and practicality in this matter is of paramount importance.
Depending on the occasion for which the accessory is worn, a certain shape of a bow tie is selected.
- Classical or Butterfly. The width of the product is between 6 cm and 5 mm, the number of folds is minimal, the middle is narrow, contrasting in size with the edge.
- Large Butterfly. Such a butterfly has almost the same manufacturing principle. Only the edge width can reach 8 cm 5 mm.
- Diamond point. It contains the forms of the two previous species - the lower part is wider (as in the Large Butterfly), and the upper part is the consignment note, it has the dimensions like a butterfly. The edges are pointed, outwardly resembling a diamond shape in profile.
The shape of such a bow tie is outwardly equated with the shape of a bat wing. The middle is practically not allocated, as it has approximately the same width with the edge. The folds are longitudinal, their number is small.
In fact, it is a strip of fabric tied in a bow. You can use the tape. Often there are thickened leather cords with wooden beads at the ends.
- Rounded club. Outwardly differs from the classic version with rounded edges.
- Continental tie. It is a strip of fabric with expanding edges, attached to the button, laying one end on the other.
Having chosen any kind, you can proceed directly to the manufacture.
In the absence of a sewing machine, a bow tie can be sewn manually. For a better result, use a blind hemming stitch, “back with a needle”, “fluff” and a regular double-pass stitch.
The classic cut of a bow tie type "samovyaz"
To sew this type of tie, it is necessary to prepare the fabric (of any structure and density). It will only need 20 cm. You can take a cut of the same color, but you can also sew a double-sided bow tie. To do this, you need to decide on a different color that will be used. A classic solution could be a combination of colors:
- black with gray, navy blue, with other dark colors,
- plain in tandem with a pattern,
- bright colors with pastel shades of one and more.
In order to sew “samovyaz”, it is necessary to prepare the following tools:
- Needle or sewing machine,
Of the necessary materials you will need:
Для того, чтобы сшить галстук-бабочку, нужно просчитать пропорции будущего изделия и сделать выкройку на бумаге. Отталкиваться стоит от «размаха крыльев». Это будет опорная единица, от которой зависят пропорциональные характеристики изделия. Чтобы не путаться в измерениях, представлена приблизительная выкройка изделия, где необходимо лишь измерить обхват шеи человека, для которого шьется галстук. The accessory will be voluminous and “prominent.” The measurements will be approximately as follows:
- Neck circumference - full 45 cm, for the pattern use semi girth - 22.5 cm,
- Neck girdle width - 2.2 mm,
- The height of the base ("Fish") - 4 cm,
- The length of the "fish" is 13 cm,
- Ponytail length - 6 cm,
- The height of the “tail” is 4 cm.
Having drawn a pattern, given the size, you can begin to transfer the pattern to the fabric.
Pattern from the fabric.
Having a paper version of the drawing, do the following work:
- Cut paper pattern with scissors. It will be only half the future product.
- Fold the fabric (primary color) in half, attach a paper pattern to the bend where the neck girth is located.
- Circle the paper pattern with a pencil (chalk, soap) on the fabric.
- Repeat with fabric of complementary color.
- Expand the two parts of the product and sweep (pin together) with the front of the fabric inward.
- Sew along the edge (or sew together), leaving a 4 cm undersized part on the side of the “tail”.
- Turn the resulting workpiece of the front part out through the undersized area.
- Manually sew up the remaining area with a hidden seam.
- The product is ready.
You can tie a bow tie “samovyaz” correctly according to this scheme:
Bow Tie with Clasp
For a quicker and easier way to tie, many people choose butterflies with clasps. This is especially appropriate for children or those who do not want to learn how to tie the classic version of such an accessory.
A bow tie that has a fastener consists of the following basic elements:
- A belt around the neck
- The butterfly itself
- Clasp (hardware or Velcro, button, button, etc.).
The basis of the tie (belt) can be made of fabric or dense braid, elastic. If the fabric was chosen, then it can be identical in color or significantly different.
Sewing the basics.
By measuring the neck circumference (you can make a universal size with an adjustable length for different girths), having decided on the thickness of the base, you can begin to manufacture it.
- Measure the length, put a mark.
- Measure the width, multiply it by 2, add 1 cm for the line,
- From the marks to form a rectangle on the fabric, cut.
- Fold in half along the longitudinal side with the front side inward,
- Sew the longitudinal edge and one side,
- Unscrew the workpiece by hiding the line inside,
- If necessary, put the adjustment accessories, sew on the fastener (any one of your choice).
- Iron. The strap is ready.
Having the basis of a bow tie, they begin to manufacture the "butterfly" itself. You can choose absolutely any form.
Classical or Butterfly
- Measure a rectangle on a fabric with sides of 14 cm × 14 cm.
- Fold it in half with the front side inwards.
- To stitch, stepping back from the edge of 5 mm, one edge is not to be completed.
- Over the unfinished edge, turn the workpiece with seams inwards.
- Finish the opening manually with a hidden line.
- Measure the middle of the workpiece. With a marking line with a distance between punctures of 1 cm along, mark the middle. Pull the fabric together until wrinkled.
- Make the middle for the butterfly in the same way. The dimensions will be as follows: width - 2.5 cm, length - 3.5 cm. Sew the finished element, leaving a seam on the back of the butterfly.
- Sew the finished butterfly to the strap.
It is made according to the principle of the classic "butterfly stroke", only the width of the edge of the finished product will be wider. If you take 8 cm, then the pattern will have parameters of 14 cm × 17 cm (taking into account 5 mm indentation for stitching). Further, the process of performing work will be similar to the previous one.
You will need a pattern for a butterfly tie and Large Butterfly. A feature of this tie is that it combines these two types in one. The only difference is that the top layer has pointed edges, which is easy to do at the beginning of the cut by mowing the corners of the rectangle. Do not forget about the allowance for the line. It is carried out by overlaying one layer on another, united by a common middle. The color scheme can be varied and combine several colors at once.
The approximate parameters of the pattern of such a bow tie will be as follows:
- Open the butterfly element with parameters 3 cm × 13 cm.
- Open the "middle" with dimensions 2.5 cm × 4 cm.
- Fold in half the first blank with the front side inwards.
- To stitch, stepping back from the edge of 5 mm, one edge is not to be completed.
- Over the unfinished edge, turn the workpiece with seams inwards.
- Finish the opening manually with a hidden line.
- Repeat the above steps with the element for the middle.
- In the center of the first workpiece, make 2 punctures with an estimated seam and pull along the thread. One transverse fold is formed. Next, the “middle” is sewn, making a seam from the back of the butterfly.
- The pattern of such a tie is quite simple: it is necessary to make a cut with parameters of 70 cm × 10 cm. Sew according to the principle of previous blanks. If desired, the ends can be expanded or narrowed.
The difference from the classic version is the presence of rounded edges. When patterning, according to the description of the "butterfly stroke" option, make rounding of the edges. Further, the manufacturing process is practically no different.
It is possible to make a pattern with parameters of 55 cm × 5 cm. For 10 cm to the edge, expand on both sides by 1 cm on each side. Applied accessories in the form of buttons, fasteners, buttons, Velcro.
Whatever the bow tie, it is important to carry out all the steps to create it carefully. Sloppy work can spoil the general appearance of the accessory and, accordingly, the appearance of the one who will wear it. One sewing after creating a pattern, the thing may not end. Embroidery on fabric,
We make a bow tie made of wood
What could be more original than an exclusive bow tie made of wood! To create such an unusual accessory will require not only wood, but also a large number of auxiliary tools:
- Jigsaw (will give a better result). In the absence of such an aggregate, you can manage and the usual.
- Fine grain sandpaper.
- Wood burning machine (as required).
You will also need a neck strap, which is sewn in advance in the sizes proposed above.
The choice of wood is very important in this matter, because thanks to it you can create a solid accessory. Iroko (African oak), beech, oak - this is not the whole list of popular types of wood for creating a bow tie made of wood. A more budgetary option are products made of plywood (fiberboard).
Creating a unique accessory made of wood, it is necessary to start work after a certain preparation.
Stage 1. Create a sketch.
To do this, you need to get only a pencil and a sheet of paper. In extreme cases (to facilitate the process), you can print the finished form on the printer, setting the desired size.
If necessary, make any holes (perforation, images), apply them to a paper sketch. Next, you need to cut the sketch. Put it on the surface of the wood and circle it with a pencil.
2 stage. Product cutting and processing.
Without the appropriate experience working with wood and tools for processing it, cutting a bow tie can be quite a difficult task.
Using a jigsaw (simple or electric), the workpiece is cut. After that, the future accessory must be cleaned with sandpaper, attention should be paid to the edges so that there are no clear angles.
You can decorate the product with additional holes, drawings. It will be relevant to use a wood burning machine. With its help, you can create inscriptions, drawings, logos. The middle of such a bow tie is decorated with a cloth or a lining of a wooden element. After manufacturing, it can be treated with a transparent impregnation for wood or a darker shade.
The final step is to assemble all the elements. You can fix the wooden butterfly on the strap using hot glue (using a glue gun).
Creating your own unique accessory is quite possible. The main thing is to decide on the design and have patience. When choosing a material for making a bow tie, you should make sure that it will be appropriate and powerful for processing. Do not undertake the manufacture of a wooden accessory if there are no necessary tools for this.
The process of making a bow tie will require accuracy and care so that the final result will please not only the needlewoman, but also the one for whom the accessory was made.