In the repair, painting, oil or acrylic paints are common. They are bright and have a rich palette. But often after construction work, we forget to wash off the remnants of the paint, the item dries. No need to panic! There are good ways to quickly reanimate brushes, at the same time and remove acrylic spots from clothes and other surfaces.
Working tool is afraid
- Ordinary warm water. This option is applicable to water-based acrylic paints. Also, if you removed the brush no more than an hour ago.
- Degreaser. A universal remedy, for example, such a wash in the form of an aerosol. The option is suitable if the brush has lain for more than a day, and a film has formed on the surface.
- Special cleaner (solvent). It quickly softens the paint.
Solvents are still chemistry, so you should protect your hands with gloves, and for the “case” buy a paint cuvette and lower the brushes there. First, you can apply the composition to a regular dishwashing sponge (with an abrasive part), and then to the hardened pile.
Remove acrylic from clothes
Did paint get on clothes while working? Take alcohol, wet the stain and wash in a powder machine.
Or mix ammonia with vinegar + salt. Leave the item in this solution, later, wash also with powder.
If the spot is small, then just go through the dishwashing detergent and put it in the machine.
- Oil paint removes diesel.
- Never leave the brush for a long time in a jar of substance - the rim will rust, and the hairs will come out. You can no longer work with such a tool.
- No solvent at hand? Turpentine, ammonia, acetone will come for him.
- Is there a break in work? Put the brush in a plastic bag - it will not dry like that.
- As an abrasive element, an old toothbrush is suitable.
- Wet brushes are not stored vertically!
- The White-Spirit solvent has proven itself in the market, as evidenced by numerous reviews.
They painted the fence in the country, left the brush and it dried up? Do not rush to buy a new attribute. Our tips will help bring the instrument to its original appearance. And if you want to expand the range, we have excellent brushes.
Nitro paints are a finishing material, which is characterized by the fastest drying among other paint coatings. That is why they are often applied using a spray, but it also happens that the masters take on the brush. In this case, the question arises of how to wash the tool.
Nitro solvents are the simplest and most obvious way to quickly and efficiently clean a brush.
These are special tools that are designed to combat the remains of nitro-paint. All that is required is to carefully study the instructions for use for the selected drug.
Acetone is also used in case you need to clean the instrument from nitro paints. In this embodiment, you do not need to leave it in solution for a long time. As a rule, you need to wipe the bristles with a composition, then rinse with warm water and leave to dry.
Despite the fact that oil paints dry for a long time, their brushes are deformed at least. So, the composition is clogged between the bristles of the tool, and if you do not immediately apply the appropriate measures, it can be thrown out.
In this option, you need to start cleaning the brush immediately after finishing work. The tool is wiped to remove paint residues, and then washed with turpentine.
This tool is aggressive, and requires caution when working. Wipe the instrument with a diluent, then rinse with water and leave to dry.
The best option for removing residual oil paint will be the process of soaking the tool in white spirit. Then it is washed under running water, wiped, trying to give the bristles their original appearance, and left to dry.
The soiled tool is dipped in kerosene for several seconds, after which it is wiped with a cloth.
Isopropyl alcohol will cope with dry paint residues. After cleaning, the tool is washed and left to dry in an upright position.
The tool is soaked in vinegar for 60 minutes, after which the condition of the bristles is checked. If the bristles are still not soft enough, repeat the procedure. Next, the brush is washed in clean water and left in an upright position until completely dry.
Aqueous emulsion ink is easier to wash. It is advisable to wash the brush immediately after use under running water. If the paint has already dried up on the tool, it can simply be eliminated with improvised means: a means for washing kitchen utensils, soap.
To avoid problems with cleaning brushes, it is worth using liquids for water-based paints: acrylic, watercolor, latex. Next, we consider several proven methods of cleaning the tool from the remnants of the coloring material.
The use of degreasing agents is relevant in that situation if the tool was in the paint for 24 hours and a film formed on it.
The algorithm for the use of the drug is indicated on each individual tool by the manufacturer.
Brush Care Rules
To extend the life of the brush, you should adhere to the following rules:
- The brush should be dried exclusively in a horizontal position.
- Do not leave the tool in water with bristles down.
- It is recommended to wear elastic on the bristles so that the tool dries in the correct position.
- If cleansing bristles are present on the hands after cleaning, they should be removed with tweezers.
- If oil paints are used daily, and therefore brushing becomes a chore, you can try wrapping the tools in a bag with a zip fastener. The fact is that if you leave the brushes constantly in the solvent, their service life will be significantly reduced.
We keep brushes during a short break in work
No work can last forever, and therefore, during the production of painting, it may be necessary to take a short break for 1 to 2 hours.
But we know that many paints set quickly enough and this time is more than enough for the brush to become covered with a layer of sticky mass, which then cannot be shaded on the surface or removed mechanically.
Many advise leaving a brush in a jar of water. This, of course, will save her from the complete drying of the paint, but at the same time the brush becomes stiff and the hairs stick together, which reduces the quality of subsequent painting work.
In such a situation, it is better to just wrap the brush in a plastic bag. It is important that air does not enter the bag. This method will save it for 1 to 2 hours and after that you can start painting again.
Sometimes you can find recommendations to use thin food aluminum foil instead of a bag.
How to save a brush during a long break in work
If today the painting is finished and until tomorrow the brush is not needed, then for its preservation it will be necessary to clean it completely of the paint.
Some people leave the brush in a jar of water or solvent, but this leads to the fact that under the influence of its own gravity, the brush sinks deeper, while the bristles are bent and the brush loses its original shape. This, of course, leads to the loss of its functionality, because it will not be possible to straighten the bristles later.
Therefore, without options - the brush must be thoroughly cleaned. To do this, you will need:
- rag or paper towel
- soap (better - household),
- a container into which you can immerse the brush deep enough.
Cleaning takes place in the following order:
Pour the solvent into the container, lower the brush there and carefully “soak” the pile.
- Then remove the brush and wipe it well with a rag or towel.
- Next, thoroughly soap the bristles with soap and rinse under running warm water.
It must be borne in mind that each paint needs its own solvent. If, for example, glue or water-soluble paints are easily removed with water, mineral oils are necessary for oil. Information on them can be found on the paint can label.
Solvents usually have a very pungent odor, so brushing is best done outdoors or at least on the balcony.
After cleaning, the brush must be set to dry with the bristles up or hang it loosely with the bristles down (usually there is always a hole on the handle of the brush).
Other brush cleaning methods
There are other brush washing methods that are not used often, but also lead to good results.
Washing the brush with a fabric softener is used when the paint has not yet completely dried. To do this, you must:
- Wipe off excess paint with a brush using paper or a rag.
- Mix warm water with a small amount of conditioner - this solution weakens the adhesion of the paint to the bristles.
- Rinse the brush in the solution until you see that the paint has begun to slide away from it.
- Then you can rinse the brush with warm water and evaluate how well it cleansed.
- If necessary, repeat the steps until the result is achieved.
- Then wash the brush with water and set to dry.
There is a way to clean old dried paint with brushes. To use it, you will need ordinary table vinegar:
- Vinegar is poured into a container and a brush is placed in it for about an hour. Check if the paint is soft. If not, then leave the brush in vinegar for another hour.
- Then pour the vinegar into an old saucepan, put a brush there and bring to a boil on the stove. Boil for a few minutes.
- Then remove the brush, cool slightly and comb it with a steel brush or an old frequent comb.
- Repeat the action until all the paint is behind the bristles and removed with a comb.
- We wash the brush in running water and set to dry.
If the brush is stained with oil paint, then you can use a dishwashing detergent to clean it:
- Wipe the brush with a cloth or paper.
- Pour some funds into your palm.
- Then turn on the warm water and, substituting a palm with the product under the tap, twist a brush on it.
- Rinse the brush and, if there is still paint on it, repeat all the steps until the desired result is achieved.
It’s clear that you can’t wash a big brush like that, this method is good for small brushes, the paint on which has not yet completely dried out.
What types of brushes are used during painting
Every person who at least once made repairs in the apartment on their own is well aware that several different types of brushes are required to perform quality work. So, priming surfaces, painting ceilings and walls of a room using water-soluble acrylic agents requires the use of large planar flat brushes. To work with oil and some other types of paints, small round or flat brushes, which are called fleets, are quite suitable.
In any painting process, there are certain breaks during which the functional properties of the brushes must be preserved in their original state - this will help to avoid the need to purchase a new product, save you money and time.
What else can you wash brushes
To clean brushes from oil paint, you can use not only solvents, but turpentine, white spirit, kerosene acetone. When using all of these substances, gloves should be used to protect the skin of the hands.
In order to wash acrylic paint, you need to use a special tool - a wash for paint. Rinses are both universal and intended for use with any particular paint. You can buy them at a hardware store. When using a wash, it is necessary to protect not only the hands, but also the respiratory organs, and preferably the eyes.
In the arsenal of cleaning products for brushes there is one more thing - “Universal cleaner”. It can be purchased at departments selling radio components. It is intended for degreasing surfaces, but it also copes with acrylic paints, as it contains alcohol and gasoline.
After the brushes are washed, it is necessary to soften the bristles. For this, various cosmetic lotions or hair conditioners are used. They are simply applied to the fingers and gently rubbed into the hairs of the brush. After that, the brushes become almost like new and are ready to work again.
Work interruption - we save tool properties
So that after a 1-2-hour break in staining, the brush does not have time to lose its properties, it is necessary to take care of it correctly.
There are quite a few types of paints and varnishes that set very quickly, and therefore, without attention, the brush will be completely covered with a sticky layer in a couple of hours, which is almost impossible to remove.
Sometimes this option is practiced - a brush with a pile down is placed in a jar filled with water.
However, this method has one significant drawback - although the pile will be saved from thickening of the paint, it will become too harsh, which will make the quality of further painting work not so high.
Therefore, instead of a container with water, it is better to use a regular plastic bag or thin food-grade aluminum foil. To do this, wrap the brush with any of these materials so that the air does not get inside. This affordable method will allow you to save the properties of the brushes for two hours.
We clean tools during a long break
If the break between the stages of the paintwork is longer, at least one day, the brushes need to provide another care. After painting, leaving them in a jar of solvent for a day is not the best method, since it can lead to deformation of the pile, which will make the subsequent painting process impossible. Therefore, you have to wash the tool in accordance with all the rules using special tools. If you do not have a professional brush cleaner, prepare the following set of accessories:
- any paint thinner
- a disposable paper towel or piece of soft rag,
- ordinary laundry soap
- deep enough capacity for immersion brushes.
To thoroughly wash the brushes after the paint and provide them with proper care, you should perform several actions:
- Pour enough solvent into the container.
- Place the brush in the product with the pile down and thoroughly soak the pile.
- After that, remove the brush and wipe it thoroughly using a rag or paper towel.
- Then the bristles of the products must be thoroughly smeared with soapy foam and washed under running water for several minutes.
All these steps should be repeated until the pile is completely cleaned of paints and varnishes. This method of care allows you to qualitatively wash the paint, even if it has dried.
Depending on the type of paint used, you need to wash the brushes with different types of solvents. Paints and varnishes having a water-soluble or adhesive base can be washed with plain water.
And if you have to wash the brush after applying oil paint, you should use a special mineral solvent.
Due to the fact that the liquid for cleaning brushes and the solvent are means that have too strong and specific odors, it is advisable to wash these products on the balcony or in the open air. After the procedure is completed, the brush must be thoroughly dried by setting it in an upright position with the bristles up.
There are other time-tested brush care methods that are very effective. If the paint has not completely dried up to the pile, you can wash it with a conventional linen conditioner:
- Getting to the procedure, you need to use a soft cloth to wipe off excess paint.
- Then mix the air conditioning and warm water in equal parts.
- Wash the brush thoroughly in the solution until the paint begins to gradually slide away from it.
- To consolidate the result, continue to wash the product in warm running water.
- When there are no traces of paint at all, the product must be thoroughly dried by installing in a small jar with a pile up.
If the paint is very dry, try another method:
- In a convenient container, for example, glass, pour the right amount of vinegar and put the brush there for one hour.
- When this period has passed, check how soft the paint has softened.
- In the event that the paint is not sufficiently softened, leave the brush in this position for another hour.
- At the next stage, take an old saucepan unsuitable for food purposes and pour vinegar into it.
- Then put the brush in the pan, put on the stove, set the average flame level and wait for it to boil.
- For several minutes, the contents of the container should continue to boil.
- Next, remove the cleaned brush and carefully comb its pile with a metal brush.
- It is necessary to comb the brush until the smallest particles of paint are completely behind the villi.
- Finally, the product must be rinsed in running water and left to dry in a vertical position with a pile up.
Независимо от способа очистки, правильный уход за кистями подразумевает обязательное увлажнение ворса. For these purposes, any cosmetic conditioner or lotion is suitable. Proper storage of brushes also plays an important role and helps to preserve their properties for as long as necessary.