Don't have a CD to install the printer? Or you can not configure the network printer correctly? Then this article was created specifically for you. Follow the steps below to install the printer manually.
1. Turn on the computer and wait for Windows to start.
2. Using the cable that comes with it, connect the printer and computer (usually a USB cable)
3. Connect the printer.
4. Click the "Start" button and go to the "Control Panel".
5. Select "Devices and Printers".
6. Click on "Install Printer".
Now you can go in 2 ways: add a local printer, add a network, wireless or Bluetooth printer. Consider first the option 1:
7.1 If the default port is not suitable for you, change it. Click "Next."
8.1 Select the manufacturer and printer name. Click "Next."
9.1 Enter any name, later this name will be used when referring to the printer. Click "Next."
10.1 Uncheck if you do not want to use the default printer, if you want you can print a test page. Click "Next."
11.1 All printer installation completed. Click Finish.
Consider option 2:
7.2 Wait until the search for available printers is completed. Select the required printer by double-clicking or the “Next” button. If among the provided printers is not the one that you need, go to option 3.
8.2 The system will try to find the driver for this printer, but if you get the message “Could not find the driver”, click “OK”, and specify the location of the desired file, if you do not have it, you will have to download it from the Internet and specify the path to * .inf file
9.2 Uncheck if you do not want to use the default printer, if you want you can print a test page. Click "Next." 10.2 All printer installation completed. Click Finish.
Let's consider 3 option:
7.3 Click “Your printer is not listed.”
8.3 Select “Select a shared printer by name,” and write the address for the printer using the above examples, click next, if you get the message “Could not find the driver”, click “OK”, and specify the location of the desired file, if you have if it is not there, you will have to download it from the Internet and indicate the path to the * .inf file
9.3 Uncheck if you do not want to use the default printer, if you want you can print a test page. Click "Next."
10.3 All printer installation is complete. Click Finish.
Manual driver installation
If you have previously studied this issue somewhere and not one of the methods was successful, then you can try to reload the driver. This article is universal - here we will tell you how to do it in different versions of Windows.
Therefore, before installing the printer without a disk, you must:
1. Disconnect the device connected to the computer,
2. Go to the "Start" menu - "Control Panel" - "Devices and Printers" or "View devices and printers",
3. Here you will need to find the line “Add a printer” or “Add a printer” in the top panel,
4. The Add Printer Wizard will open, from the proposed options, select "Add a local printer" and click "Next" (for Windows 7). If you have Windows 8 or 10, then at the bottom click “The required printer is not in the list” - and then select “Add a local or network printer with manually configured parameters” and click “Next”.
5. The wizard for installing printers and other equipment will offer to select a port, leave the default settings (LPT1) and go to the next step,
6. Click on the “Windows Update” button and wait for the update of available drivers,
7. The list of printer manufacturers and major models will load. May take 5 to 30 minutes. On the left, find the manufacturer, and on the right, specify the printer model. Then click "Next." In this case, we chose the HP brand, and the LaserJet 1022 model.
8. The installation wizard will offer to come up with a name for the device (leave the default name or create your own), click "Next",
9. Wait for the installation to complete,
10. The “Use General Settings” window opens, here you must select the option “No sharing to this printer” and click “Next” (the window will appear if Windows 7 is installed). If you have Windows 10, then you will see a window where you need to click "Finish" (the same window will appear later in Windows 7).
The next thing to do is remove the device you just installed. To do this, right-click on the printer icon that appears and select "Delete Device" in the context menu (the installed drivers will remain).
After the done steps, it will be possible to connect the printer to the computer. When you connect the printer, you need to wait a bit for the computer to automatically recognize the printer and complete the installation. Then you can print any document to make sure the driver is installed.
How to do it in Windows 7:
If you do not have a driver disk for the printer, then you can download them from the official website of the manufacturer. To do this, it is enough to know the company and model of the printer. You can find them in the documentation, on the case or on the back of the device. If you do not understand the instructions below, then you can download the necessary driver on our website without any fear (all drivers are virus free).
Open any browser and in the search bar enter: “download HP LaserJet p1102 printer driver”. In this article I will look for drivers for the aforementioned device, but you need to specify your model.
As a rule, a link to the official website of the developer will be on the first page of the search, at the very top. But this does not always happen, and therefore one must be careful. In order not to download malware instead of drivers, make sure that you really go to the official website of the developer. To do this, pay attention to the site link in the search engine. There should not be anything "superfluous" (the address will be something like this: "hp.com" or "samsung.com", etc.
If you doubt the authenticity of the site you found, you can enter only the name of the printer company without a model and other information. And from the main page go to the "drivers and other software" section.
Advantages of downloading drivers from the official site:
- Security (drivers have a digital signature, lack of built-in malicious code),
- The developer places on the site only the latest, “fresh” versions of drivers.
As soon as you get to the desired page (“Drivers and other files”, “Software”, “Software”, “Download”, as well as “drivers” on the English version of the site), you will only have to enter your printer model and search.
In addition, some sites allow you to automatically determine the device model and the necessary drivers, for example, there may be a button “Define product”. So, if we are on the HP website, click "Product Search" and in our case there are varieties of this model. We need to select the desired model by left-clicking.
After you find the necessary drivers, you will need to specify information about the version of your operating system, the capacity of the system. If this window does not appear, then simply click on the link or button to download drivers.
Such a situation may arise that the site will offer to download the driver version of your choice:
- Basic - for access to the main features of the device,
- Advanced - to access additional features.
You do not need to worry about which version you are downloading, the main thing is to specify the correct bit depth of your system (discussed above).
The download of the driver installation package will begin:
At the end of the download, you must run the downloaded file and follow the instructions of the installation wizard.
Under Windows, there is a huge software base for almost all peripheral devices, including printers. We use it.
We connect the printer or MFP to the computer and wait a couple of minutes. This will identify or identify the device and Windows will try to install the driver. Since you are reading this article, then most likely this method did not work. Run the update manually.
We go along the path:
Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Devices and Printer
Control Panel> Hardware and Sound> Devices and Printers
Click on the computer icon with the right mouse button and select - Windows update.
In the window that opens, click “Check for updates”.
A search for software for your devices will be performed. If something is found, it will either be downloaded and installed automatically, or you will need to give permission. In my case, everything is done on the machine.
You may need to restart your computer. Follow and see if the printer is installed. If the device is installed, but does not print, then I would plug it into another USB port. (If the printer does not print in principle, you can see this article).
Automatic software download
To ensure that the operating system always automatically loads drivers and pictures for connected devices, you can do the following.
We call the context menu with the right mouse button on the computer icon and select Device installation settings.
In the window that opens, select the recommended setting and “Save Changes”.
Now when you connect a new device, Windows will automatically search for a driver in its database.
- Click on the “Start” button.
In Windows XP, in the window that opens, click “Control Panel” and select “Printers and Other Equipment” or “Printers and Faxes”.
In Windows Vista or Windows 7, select “Printers” or “Devices and Printers” from the right side of the “Start” menu.
Click the “Add Printer” button.
In Windows XP, it is located in the “Printing Tasks” column. The “Add Printer Wizard” opens.
For Windows Vista or Windows 7, the “Add Printer” button is located on the toolbar. The “Add Printer” window appears.
Click “Next” to launch the wizard in Windows XP.
For all operating systems, select “Add a local printer” if you are installing a printer that is connected directly to the computer.
Or select “Add Network Printer” to add a printer connected to your home or office network.
Windows Vista and Windows 7 also provide the ability to connect the printer wirelessly with a computer via WiFi or using Bluetuth.
Select the printer connection port in the drop-down menu (most likely it will be USB001). Click “Next." Specify the printer manufacturer in the Manufacturer list. Select your printer model from the Printers list. Press "Next".
In the next window, enter the printer name of your choice or leave the default printer name. Click “Next." Windows will install the printer on your computer.
To check the operability in the window that opens, you can click the “Print a test page” button. When done, click Finish. Printer setup is complete.
How to install the driver from the update center (using the example of HP 1015)
- Disconnect the HP 1015 from the computer.
Start Menu> Devices and Printers.
"Installing a printer."
"Add a local printer"
- We look forward to downloading a list of available drivers.
Choose “HP”> “HP LaserJet 1015”> click “Next."
- “No sharing ...” and “Next”
HP 1015 installed.
- Remove the installed device
We do not need the printer itself. We need software that installs with it.
- We connect the HP 1015 to the computer and wait until the unit "grabs" the already installed driver.
Configure Automatic Updates on Windows 8 | http: //www.youtube.com/watch? V = 5wn6VBS26gQ
Driver for Epson LX-300 under Windows 7/8 / 8.1 / 10 | http: //www.youtube.com/watch? V = pbdhDJi4GpA
Installing the HP LASERJET 1015 driver through Windows Update | http: //www.youtube.com/watch? V = rCceydYLbjI
If you don’t have a driver disk for your printer, don’t worry, just go to the manufacturer’s website (HP, Dell, Epson, Canon, etc.).
Go to the support page, where all the drivers for the products of this company are posted. I posted the addresses of these pages for some manufacturers at the end of the article.
Find and download drivers for your printer model, pay attention to their compatibility with your operating system.
Usually the downloaded file is an archive. Unzip it.
If as a result of unzipping you get a folder with files of different types - find and run the SETUP file. If the downloaded drivers are one or more executable (.exe extension) files, run the one that is most suitable for your operating system (usually the OS type is indicated in the file name, for example: Dell_AAY_Vista_x64_PS_sys_en).
Follow the instructions in the installer window, and after a few minutes, the printer drivers will be successfully installed on your operating system. Note that for some models, the printer must be turned off during driver installation.
Using one of these methods, you can install the printer yourself without an installation disk. Here are the addresses of the support pages on the sites of some printer manufacturers, where you can find and download the drivers you need:
Manual download and installation (.exe)
Take the HP DeskJet F380 as an example. If you do not know the model of your printer or MFP, then carefully study the identification labels on the case. You can also find the model on the sticker on the back or bottom of the device.
We open the browser and write “HP DeskJet F380 driver” to Google or Yandex. You are substituting your model.
In most cases, in the first place, or on the first page of the issue, there will be a link to the equipment support page on the manufacturer’s official website.
Understand that this is the official website at.
Downloading from the official site is more convenient for two reasons:
- No malicious code
- There is fresh software itself.
If on the first page of the issue there was no link to the official website, then you can find it yourself. We set “HP” and immediately select “Drivers” or “Support and Drivers”.
In the section “Drivers and downloads” we set our model (for example, “F380”) and click “Go”.
Or, on the right, in the "Define Product" section, click "Find Now" and follow the instructions in the wizard. (This option is still available for Windows XP / Vista / 7 with browsers: Internet Explorer (IE) 6.0+, Firefox 3.6.x, 12.0+, Google Chrome).
We select our device from the search results.
From the drop-down list, select your operating system and click "Submit."
In the "Driver" section, click "Download."
There may be several software options. For example, full-featured software and a basic driver. If you need advanced features of the device and image processing - download full-featured software.
Run the downloaded file.
The files will be unpacked and the installation wizard will start. Click “Install” and follow the instructions in detail in the article about installing the printer from disk.
Installing a driver from another printer
Consider the example of Windows 7 64-bit and the Xerox Phaser 3116 printer.
There is no software manufacturer website for this system. You can try it from the Xerox Phaser 3117.
- Download the driver for Phaser 3117 and unpack it.
- We connect the device to the computer.
- Open Start in the search field, write "Device Manager." We launch it.
- Right-click on an unknown device / printer, call the context menu, and select "Update drivers ...".
- Search for drivers for this computer.
- Select a driver from the list of already installed drivers.
- Select "Printers" and "Next."
- Click "Install from disk ...".
- We point to the xrxb7.inf file in the unpacked folder.
Printer ID Definition
Each device that connects to the computer has a unique identification code. If you know the hardware ID, then you can easily download the driver you need. If the instructions above didn’t help you and you didn’t figure it out, how to install a printer without a disk, you need to find out his identification code. I recommend using this option in the most extreme cases, and if you downloaded the drivers from the official site, you can skip this option.
So, to find out the ID:
1. Right-click on the computer and select "Properties", then click "Device Manager" on the left,
2. In the window that opens, find your printer. Right-click on the desired line and in the menu that appears, click on "Properties",
3. A dialog box opens where you need to go to the "Information" tab. Next, in the "Property" line, select "Equipment ID".
4. In the window below, a value will appear, which will be the identification code of the printer (if there are several values, then you must select the first one),
5. Copy the identifier. Go to the official website of the manufacturer of your printer and enter the copied identification number into the search. You can also use search engines to find the driver you need using the hardware ID. But he doesn’t forget that our site has all the drivers for existing printers. It remains only to download the driver found.
Remember that you need to download drivers only from official resources. It is absolutely free and as safe as possible.
Installing drivers in automatic mode
So that this problem never bothers again and drivers for any external devices are installed automatically, just change the basic Windows settings. For this:
1. Вновь перейдите в меню «Устройства и принтеры» (выше рассказывали, как сюда зайти) через панель управления. Кликните правой кнопкой по иконке «Компьютер» и в появившемся контекстном меню выберите «Параметры установки устройств»,
2. Откроется диалоговое окно, где необходимо выбрать «Да (рекомендуется)» (рекомендуемые параметры по умолчанию) и нажмите «Сохранить»,
Теперь, после подключения нового устройства Windows будет в автоматическом режиме искать и устанавливать необходимые драйвера из собственной базы или используя интернет соединение.