- How to set up a wireless network connection
- How to connect wireless
- How to connect computers to a network
- Connected Wi-Fi router, a working computer with Windows operating system, a client for working in a wireless network
Click on the “Wireless Networks” tab in the same window.
If the Wireless Networks tab in the Wireless Network Connection - Properties window is missing for any reason, click OK.
Go to the “Start” menu, select “Settings” and go to the “Control Panel”.
In the new “Control Panel” window, double-click on the “Administration” and “Services” icons.
Verify that the Wireless Setup service is operational. Otherwise, double-click the “Wireless Settings” icon, and in the new properties window, click the “Start” button and OK.
Return to the Network Connections window. Right-click on the "Wireless Network Connection" icon, call up the drop-down menu and go to "Properties".
Make sure that on the “Wireless Networks” tab there is a checkmark on the “Use Windows to configure network” button.
MacBook with iOS
To connect to a router:
- Go to the main menu in the upper left corner.
- Next, look for the section "Basic."
- There will be a wireless connection. If the slider is in a state "OFF" move it to the right.
- Then everything is as usual, select the network, enter the password for authentication.
NOTE! Some people confuse Wi-Fi with the Internet, but these are different things. So if you are connected to WiFi, but do not have access to the Internet, then the problem may be with the provider or in the settings of the router. According to the settings, you can search for separate instructions on our website for your router model.
Quick problem solving
If there are errors in the connection or there is no Internet, then try restarting the router. To do this, find the power button, press it once, and then turn it on again. You can also simply pull out the power cord and insert it back. On older models, this problem is common, but the solution is quite simple.
This can happen if the settings of the network adapter on the computer or laptop have a static IP. The computer cannot connect to the network because it is located on a different subnet. But solving this problem is pretty easy:
- Again, press the key combination Win + R.
- Enter ncpa.cpl.
- Use the right button to connect and select "Properties."
Password does not match, what should I do?
It is possible to connect to the network using WPS. This is such a mode when the router establishes a simpler connection. Our task is to connect to the network of the router, go into the settings and change the password.
- We find the WPS button on the router. It is usually located on the rear panel.
The first method is the option of connecting to a neighbor's router by sorting through the simplest or most popular passwords. The fact is that many do not bother and put simple digital passwords like 1234 or with the letters qwerty, asdfgh, zxcvbn, etc.
For this, we will use the simple WiFICrack program. Its essence is that it takes a database of the most popular passwords in the world and substitutes it when connected to accessible networks.
- Download and run the program from our portal.
- Make sure your Wi-Fi module is turned on and looking for air networks.
After one or two minutes, the router and the adapter themselves “agree” on the addresses and encryption password, and the Internet becomes available on the device.
Sometimes a device may not have a WPS button, but still support it. In this case, the label indicates WPS PIN: when setting up a wireless network, the OS will ask you to enter it.
Despite the apparent simplicity of the connection, it is deceptive: when activating a connection to Wi-Fi using WPS, three procedures are involved:
- key (password) generation,
- encryption of the generated password
- imposing additional encryption on the channel using a certificate.
Due to the incomplete transparency of this procedure - you do not know the password and connection parameters - it is recommended to use the standard connection option with the key input.
If the router was not initially configured, then entering WPS PIN, you can configure all the network parameters as desired: its name and key.
The standard option for connecting laptops and computers to a router
Consider how to connect to wireless Internet through a pre-configured router.
All modern laptops are equipped with a Wi-Fi module. But the desktop computer should be equipped with a Wi-Fi adapter.
Pay attention to:
(1): all available wifi networks are visible here. Select our network (2), click (3) Connection to connect to the modem and, accordingly, the Internet.
A window appears asking you to enter a password (security key), and if the key is entered correctly, an icon for a successful Internet connection will appear:
Your computer can successfully use the resources of the local home network and access the Internet through your router.
Connecting smartphones and gadgets to the router
For smartphones and mobile gadgets, connecting to the Internet via a router is an opportunity to save on traffic and, accordingly, money when paying for services to an operator. A 4G network requires more resources and battery power than wireless access, so the smartphone will "live" longer with the Internet from a router without a GSM service provider. Any smartphone equipped with a Wi-Fi module can connect to your router’s Wi-Fi.
Consider how to connect when the Internet is configured and distributed by an access point.
Let us demonstrate step by step how to connect the Internet through a router using an example of a smartphone with Android OS.
- In the settings of your smartphone we turn on the Wi-Fi module, the available networks are automatically scanned.
- Select your network from the list.
- Enter the network key (which was entered during the configuration of the router).
- Upon successful connection, the corresponding signature “Connected” will appear.
If you cannot connect to the network device, restart both it and the smartphone. Check the settings of your Internet distribution device and try to reconnect to the wireless network as described above.
Let's see step by step how to connect gadgets with iOS operating system to the router.
In the "Settings" you should select the "Basic" section, where to check the inclusion of the wireless module: when you move the slider to "ON", an automatic search for the networks available for connection is performed. Choose your network and enter the password (network key).
If the key is correct, the iPad and iphone will successfully connect to the Internet.
Users of home networks, due to inexperience, a small amount of knowledge and laziness, rarely make up complex keys. Therefore, the question of how to connect to a wireless network is not difficult: there are a number of dictionary selection programs for the key. For example, WiFICrack.
This program also solves the problem of how to connect to a hidden network that does not send broadcast packets. It is enough to scan the broadcast, check the boxes of the networks you are interested in connecting to, download the dictionary (you can also use the built-in) and start the selection.
As a result, a Good.txt file is created containing the names of the networks and their keys that we managed to pick up.
Password hijacking and cracking
Via the Internet, programs for capturing and decrypting wireless network packets are also available. The essence of the method: even in the absence of correct authentication, the network device exchanges packets with the encrypted key with the connected gadget. The selection of such a package and their decryption is the path to opening the key.
This is a class of programs for advanced users with knowledge of computer security.
One example of this class of programs is Airslax.
Works with decryption of WPA / WPA2 traffic and WEP encryption. The numbers indicate:
- Scanning the ether, finding all networks, their signal levels, encryption options and other features.
- Decryption target selection. The ranking of networks in the list is by increasing their signal level.
- The process of intercepting a selected network.
- Disconnecting the client from the point to initiate a re-authentication process: the first 4 packets contain the encrypted key.
- Password selection for a captured headshake encrypted by WPA / WPA2 using a dictionary.
- Saving results.
- Automatic key selection during WEP encryption: a large number of DATA packets are collected, and authentication is tried through every 5000 collected DATA packets.
- Here points are scanned with the possibility of authorization by WPS.
- Using Reaver or Bully, a pin code is selected.
- Automatic mode of operation.
Security of own network equipment
Having casually examined the basic methods of standard and unauthorized connection, we recall the basic basic requirements for our own equipment.
- Change the standard usernames and their passwords on the router. Many neglect or forget to follow this simple procedure, leaving a loophole for attackers.
- Enable encryption as difficult as possible for decryption - WPA2. It will significantly complicate and increase the time of hacking, attackers will prefer a simpler network to connect.
- Restrict access to mac address. Although changing the address of the network card is not difficult, limiting the poppy address is a necessary procedure for protecting the internal security circuit.
- Change the Wi-Fi access key at least every six months. Even if the attackers still connect to your network equipment, connecting regularly with the hacking procedure will force them to find a more affordable victim. This will not save you from unauthorized connections, but will significantly reduce the likelihood of hacking. Safe and fast connections!
- Useful articles